God Wants You TO Prosper (A)

 

1.         Definition

 

Before you start jumping to conclusion that I am a ‘prosperity’ teacher, please pause and consider what the Bible says about prosperity.  In 2 Chronicles 26:5, King Uzziah “sought God and as long as he sought the Lord, God made him prosper.”  In this verse, the Hebrew word for prosper is ‘tsalach’ and it means to advance, make progress, succeed or be profitable.  As such, the word prosper is not what we commonly perceive as material wealth.  The Biblical word is more than just about money.

 

2.         Successful Outcome

 

When Abraham sent his servant to go back to his hometown to look for a wife for his son Isaac, he was praying that his search will be a successful one.  When he finally found the young woman Rebekah, he looked for a sign to indicate that the Lord had made his search ‘prosperous’ (Genesis 24:21).  Abraham’s servant was successful in his search for Isaac’s future wife.

 

The Bible said that the servant was ‘prosperous’ in his search.  He did not become rich.  But he had a successful outcome.  Therefore, whenever we see the word ‘prosper’, we need to step away from linking prosperity with wealth.  Let’s also see that when we succeed in anything we set out to do, God can ‘prosper’ us.  He gives us success.

 

(3)       The Greek word for prosper in the New Testament

 

The word ‘prosper’ occurs only 3 times in the New Testament and the word in Greek is “eudoo”.  From these 3 usages, we can get an understanding of the wider meaning of the word ‘prosper.’

 

(4)       Your Income Is From The Lord

 

The word ‘prosper’ is used in 1 Corinthians 16:2 and here it relates to income.  Paul told the Corinthian church that on the first day of every week, each person should set something aside, as God had ‘prospered’ him, so that no collections would be needed when he comes.  In this instance, Paul was telling the church that since they had been ‘prospered’ by God, they should set aside a portion of their income in order to help others.

 

The lesson here is that God is the one who gives us the ability to earn wealth (Deuteronomy 8:28).  He prospers us by giving us good jobs, thriving businesses and various sources to earn money.  Then He gives us the ability to sustain this earning capacity.  All these earnings are not for us to keep.  They are to be given back to the Lord in acknowledgement of His goodness to us.

 

(5)       Give 10% & the remaining 90% increases to more than 100%

 

In Proverbs 3:9 &10, the Bible says, “Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing and your vats will brim over with new wine.”  The Biblical truth here is that we should honor God by giving Him our first fruits.  The recommended amount is 10% or a tithe.  When you give God 10%, the remaining 90% increases to more than 100%.  That is a Kingdom miracle.  It can’t be explained.  It’s not just about a financial increase but it’s also about emotional, mental, intellectual, spiritual increases.  However, please don’t tithe so that you can get more back.  Such a selfish attitude will fail.  Instead, we tithe because we want to honor God and expect nothing in return.

 

In my next blog, I will explain how God prospers us in ways other than by giving us wealth.

About these ads

2 Responses to “God Wants You TO Prosper (A)”

  1. Don Nichols Says:

    great word here as I am researching this subject for a Bible Study tomorrow night. We have been programmed to think PROPERITY is all about money. Certainly not the biblical stand.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 97 other followers

%d bloggers like this: